The first fishermen operated family enterprises from the beach. These families settled on the beach below the town cliff, a settlement described as 'The Beach Village'
R0145.JPG
The houses of Beach Village were built of flint pebbles and the associated buildings for smoking herring were made of tarred wood.
R0146.JPG

R0034.JPG

The outer harbour from above the inner harbour (1881). Constructed in the 1940s and the turnpike road from the south crossed the junction between the inner and outer harbours with a swing bridge.
R0048.JPG

With the creation of the harbour the number and size of fishing smacks increased, usually going to sea together in fleets
R0147.JPG

Goods were also imported and exported through the intermediaries of fresh water wherries which entered the River Waveney system from Lowestoft's nner harbour through the Mutford Bridge lock

R0047.JPG

Trade was initiated with the continental North Sea ports and coal and timber were imported in large sailing vessels
R0017.JPG

Coal fired paddle steamers were employed in the export of livestock to Holland and Denmark. (1850)
R0112.JPG

Fish catches, mainly herring were manhandled ashore.
R0148.JPG

A special dock for the herring fleet was constructed on the northern side of the outer harbour
R0154.JPG

R0149.JPG

R0152.JPG

R0153.JPG

R0151.JPG

R0150.JPG

Town Hall, High St, before 1898
R0143.JPG


R0020.JPG

R0118.JPG

R0144.JPG

R0007.JPG

R0004.JPG

Pier Pavilion (1900)
R0002.JPG